Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thursday jot notes

It's 3:00am and I come to you in the middle of an all-night study session to check in.

Let's take a quick peak into our favorite teams and what they're up to this time of year. We'll quickly look into the SJHL, WHL, CIS and I've filled out my NCAA brackets.

-----

The Saskatoon Blades won a thriller infront of nearly 9,000 fans Wednesday night at the Credit Union Centre. Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant was in attendance and witnessed a shootout victory for the Blades over the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors.

The game meant nothing for the standings but boy was it good. The Blades will finish first in the conference and likely meet the Prince Albert Raiders in the first round of the playoffs.

-----

The final four remaining teams in the SJHL are preparing for conference finals which begin this weekend in both La Ronge and Yorkton. The Ice Wolves host the Melfort Mustangs while the Terriers host the Kindersley Klippers. Games one and two in each series will go Friday and Saturday nights.

-----

The University of Saskatchewan Huskies women's basketball team is in Windsor gering up for a run at a national championship. They'll open the tournament on Friday against the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks. With a 32-3 record, the Huskies enter the CIS final 8 championships ranked second in the country.

-----

Ok, so I filled out two brackets ahead of March Madness. The first bracket I filled out as soon as the seedings were released. It was based purely on gut feeling and nothing else. In that bracket I have Ohio St, Duke, Louisville and Kansas St. in the final four.

In bracket number two, I didn't take to many chances and have all four number one seeds - Duke, Ohio St., Kansas and Pittsburgh - making the final four.

I have seven first round upsets in my first bracket and eight in my second bracket. We'll see where the chips fall soon enough.

*** I should probably note that I always tank my NCAA bracket and this year I am not in any pool or playing for any money. Probably a smart idea.

No comments: