Some observations from the weekend:
- There seems to be a bit of aftermath in Regina following the Riders-Lions game from Saturday night. To recap the Lions won the football game but there was an incident where there was debris thrown towards the Lions bench after a questionable call and Lions coach Wally Buono motioned to pull his team off the field. There is a great incite into this by the voice of the Riders Rod Pedersen over on his blog http://www.rodpedersen.com/.
- The Tennessee Titans continue to roll with Kerry Collins at the helm. The Titans (if you don't know the Titans are my NFL team of choice) beat the Houston Texans to remain undefeated early in the season. The big shocker in week 3 was the Miami Dolphins really taking it to the New England Patriots. I think it's the Patriots first loss at home in like 4 years or something. It could be longer.
- The WHL season is underway but from what I'm hearing the first three weeks of the season is pretty much a wash with so many players still at NHL camps. Don't take too much out of a good start but, on the other hand, points early in the season count just as much as points late in the season.
- The United States won their first Ryder Cup since 1999. Who needs Tiger?
- Major League Baseball needs to expand its current playoff format. Let me explain. The Toronto Blue Jays (83-73) were officially eliminated from playoff contention over the weekend. The L.A. Dodgers (81-75) are in a position to make the playoffs in the National League. Now I know that only one team set to make the post season has a better record than do the Jays and that doesn't make for a great argument. But, when Toronto boasts the leagues best rotation and has recently went on a tear beating some of the league's best teams, it's hard not to imagine what the playoffs would be like if T-O was involved. I like the idea of expanding the playoffs to 16 teams. Let's shorten the regular season to allow for the extra playoff round and create a little more excitement around the MLB playoffs.
- Big Monday night match up tonight. Brett Favre and the New York Jets (1-1) take on the 0-2 San Diego Chargers on TSN. Favre has owned the Chargers during his career and you know Tony Kornheiser (sp?) will talk about Favre. It seems as though whenever this guy has nothing to say, he mentions #4 (must have a man crush on him).
- The Kindersley Klippers are off to a great start in the SJHL. I had to mention the Jr K's and will continue to follow the club. I have to. Good to see a 3 point weekend and forward Jordan Braid was SJHL player of the week and is the league's leading scorer through 4 games. The only issue I have is where the heck is the broadcasts? I was hoping to tune into the games via the Klippers' website but was unable to connect. Ryan, I hope this gets fixed soon. I want to hear the games and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can check out Ryan's blog on the Klippers' at http://ryantunall.blogspot.com/. Great blog dude, keep up the good work.
- And finally, the Calgary Canucks are on a roll to start the 2008-2009 AJHL season. The nucks have won 5 of 6 to start the campaign. Last year it took 7 to register their first "W". The big suprise? The 0-5 Camrose Kodiaks. Just 8 goals so far.
Hoping to see next week as the official start for the sports talk show so stay tuned for that. Lots of ideas including scores/schedules/interviews and discussion. Should be lots of fun and a great chance to get you involved by calling in and voicing your opinion.
Have a great afternoon!