The U of S Huskies opened the season in impressive fashion knocking off the Calgary Dinos. Here are the standings in Canada West after week 1:
I took in the Labour Day Classic in Regina on Sunday and I made a few observations:
- a new stadium WILL happen. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
- When did elephant ears make their way onto the menu? A big slab with whip cream and chocolate sauce was dynamite but probably not the best treat for watching a game. I did have about a dozen different people ask me what they were and where they could get them. The snack was opening some eyes.
- Ran into Brad Olynick at the concession at halftime. I know Brad from playing senior hockey in Wynyard but some people will know him from his time playing with the Humboldt Broncos (it was more than a few years ago). Brad's living and working in Lethbridge now.
- I don't understand how some people can't follow the simple directions of a traffic cop. It blows my mind how someone can be told to stop and wait and then still continue to creep into the intersection and make the turn. This happened more than a few times leaving Mossaic Stadium Sunday and nearly caused a few pile ups. What's the rush? Relax, and you will get where you need to go.
- Big thanks to Aunt Doreen for the tickets! Every year she volunteers her time at fan day each year and typically she gets a couple tickets to the LDC for her effort. Well now that the games are selling out in minutes that's not the case. Some of the paid staff are given tickets but luckily this year there was someone who wasn't going to be able to make it so she got the pair. She's got season tickets anyway and isn't in it for the tickets but it's always great when they come my way. So thanks!!
If you're looking for a laugh this morning I suggest checking out U of S Huskies voice Darryl Skender's blog. He's got a story from his trip to Calgary that had me chuckling this morning. It's linked on the left hand side of this blog in my blog list.
The new CIS top 10 ranking will be posted later today. Will the Huskies be the new #1?
NHL 11 hit's store shelves today. I like a good video game once in a while. It's like a movie. You can shut your brain off for a couple of hours and just play. I'll pick it up this afternoon.
Week 1 of the 9-man football season wraps up today when Lumsden visits Esterhazy. Lumsden is the early favorite to win provincials but there are some real solid teams out there this year so it is shaping up to be a great season.
This year SaskGridiron.com is expanding. We are trying hard to track player statistics but there's going to be a learning curve. Please bare with us as we do our best. As coaches enter there rosters you will be able to see team rosters on each team's individual website linked off SaskGridiron.com.
More news coming down the pipe this week. If you're in Esterhazy, enjoy the game today and enjoy the week!