Monday, August 17, 2009

The start of an "UP" week

The voice of the Saskatchewan Roughriders calls it an "UP" week after the Riders win and a "DOWN" week after they lose. Let me tell you, it's great to have an "UP" week.

The Riders dominated the first half of Sunday's game en route to taking a 23-0 lead. The Tabbies didn't even have a first down in the opening half and only 1 yard of net offence in the first quarter.

Hamilton came back in the 3rd but unlike the Edmonton game, last night there was an alternate ending. The Riders are 4-3 and tied for first in the CFL west while the Ti-Cats are also 4-3.

We have Montreal next week. Bring your game face.

-----

Who had Y.E. Yang in the golf pool this weekend?

Yang won the PGA Championship by 3 strokes Sunday to become the first Asian born golfer to win a major. What is more remarkable is that Tiger lost a major for the first time when leading or co-leading after 54 holes.

Even if Tiger didn't win it was compelling to watch and had me hooked until the final putt. Even on 18 I still thought Tiger could pull something out. Good stuff.

-----

I slept in yesterday morning but woke in time to flip on the World Track and Field Championships and watch the semi-finals in the men's 100m. They gave me the hour and a half countdown until the final and I set my alarm.

I'm glad I did.

Usain Bolt smashed his own world record by .11 seconds with a time of 9.58 seconds. Tyson Gay didn't have a chance even though he set a U.S. record.

The 100m is one of the greatest sporting events in the world. It's simply man vs. man in one of the greatest athletic feats out there. I love it.

-----

The news I was promising for today?

Check out www.saskgridiron.com. I've been focusing my attention on this project for a little while now and feel comfortable launching the website.

Through the website I will be covering 9-man high school football. I already have 2 of 4 schedules posted and am waiting on the final two. Check out the site and let me know what you think!

-----

from the associated press:

Ask people of various ages about their favourite music and what do you get? Perhaps more common ground between the generations than you'd expect.

A Pew Research Center survey found the Beatles high on the list of every age group and other acts from the 1960s and 1970s popular among people too young to have known them when they performed.


Who would be in your top 5? Here is what the poll found:

1. Beatles
2. Eagles
3. Johnny Cash
4. Michael Jackson
5. Elvis Presley

A couple interesting notes: Carrie Underwood was 9th while Coldplay came in at 18.

-----

Latest movie review? Adventureland.

I'm having trouble putting words down for this one. I liked it but I don't think I'd watch it twice. Check it out but wait until it's out on DVD.

-----

Well, time for some breakfast. Happy Monday!

No comments: