Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday morning ramble


Hello again and welcome back. We've got a few things to talk about today so let's get to it.

-----

What a week this is going to be! Everywhere you looked the past seven days it was all about the Riders. Everyone's Facebook status or Twitter update had to do with the Riders and boy did they deliver.

The Riders defeated the Calgary Stampeders 27-17 on Sunday to advance to their 2nd Grey Cup in three years. Where will you be on Sunday?

All I know is this week will be absolute pandemonium and I love it.

-----

The Kindersley Klippers had a successful weekend themselves. The Klippers beat the visiting Estevan Bruins 4-0 on Saturday night. The full recap is posted below.

The win combined with a Weyburn loss to Flin Flon has the Klippers now just seven points out of first place in the Sherwood Conference. They Jr. K's also have a 4 point lead on Yorkton and a five point lead on Melville. All 4 teams have played 26 games.

-----

I was watching TSN on the weekend and saw the commercial I posted below. It's just too good not to share.



I guess it was one of the Super Bowl commercials but I missed it.

-----

Don't you think that this wonderful fall is making up for our craptastic summer? I sure do.

It got as high as +15 last week and it's expected to be +7 on Thursday. It's nearing the end of November and I could book a tee time. The courses are still open! There is a call for some flurries on the weekend though and maybe that will be the start of winter. I doubt it.

-----

Is it still to early to put up your Christmas decorations? I say no to lights and yes to the Christmas tree.

I was walking the dog on the weekend and saw someone with their Christmas tree up already. For me everything starts on December 1st. I think it's a great idea to put up your lights now but don't turn em on till the 1st.

It really doesn't seem like Christmas anyway. Definitely not with no snow on the ground. What do you think?

-----

Former Kindersley Klipper and current Columbus Blue Jacket Derek Dorsett was KO'd last week by James Neal of the Dallas Stars. Check out the hit for yourself.



It was ugly to say the least. You never want to see that happen to anyone. Neal got 2 games for the hit. In my mind it should have been way higher. That kind of thing needs to be eliminated from the game.

-----

The voice of the Riders Rod Pedersen introduced me to the Nobex Radio Companion for my BlackBerry and I have loved it ever since. There are tons of radio stations available through Nobex including 620 CKRM. I caught the start of the Rider game on my BB thanks to the Nobex Radio Companion. I can also listen to Leafs games on AM 640 Toronto.

I highly recommend it if you have a BlackBerry. (there are more than just sports channels too)

-----

Speaking of the Leafs, did you happen to see the rally helmets on Saturday night?

The Leafs were 0-6 in overtime/shoot-outs this season going into Saturday night's contest with Washington so they turned to an old baseball tradition.

Now the tradition is that in the 9th inning of a baseball game, the team that is trailing will turn their hats inside out and wear them that way. It's called a rally cap.

The Leafs, who had never won in overtime or a shoot-out, decided to turn their lids around on Saturday night and low and behold it worked! Phil Kessel and Nik Hagman scored in the shoot-out to beat the Caps and give the Leafs there first shoot-out win of the season.

They looked ridiculous but it worked. I don't think it's the last we've seen of the rally helmet. Mark my words.

-----

I might have the key to your New Year's Resolution. Bare with me as I'm still working out some kinks.

Every year I set a New Year's resolution (and I know you do it too) and after a week or two it falls apart and I'm back to square one.

This year will be different ( you've heard or said that before too haven't you?).

I'm going to get back into the gym and work at getting back in shape (ya this is the same thing every year). The key is that I will start NOW. The way I see it is that if I can do it now until the new year without quitting then I know I'll be alright. If it's not working out then I can change my resolution before the 1st of January.

Sound good? We'll soon find out. It all starts today. I'll use this blog as a daily tracker to see how I'm doing.

-----

For my money the Klippers' young goaltender Josh Thorimbert has been the SJHL's best rookie so far this season. There is currently a poll on SJHL.ca asking who you think has been the league's best rookie to date. Head there now to cast your vote.

Flin Flon's Andrew Johnston leads the way but Thorimbert is not too far behind. Vote now.

-----

Any Stamps fans looking to get rid of a couple Grey Cup tickets? Drop a line in the comments section.

-----

Check out this story:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091120/health/health_us_college_graduation_fitness

One University down in the States is raising some eyebrows over their latest mandate which requires overweight students to complete a fitness test before graduating.

A normal BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. Students with one that's 30 or above - considered obese - are required to take a class called "Fitness for Life," which meets three hours a week.

I think this is nuts! Is someone going withhold my degree because I spend too much time in the books and not enough time in the gym? Give me a break!

-----

This will be some week let me tell ya.

The Klippers are back on the ice on Wednesday night at the WCEC, the Riders take on Montreal on Sunday in the Grey Cup, and the SJHL showcase takes place in North Battleford.

That's just a little something to munch on this morning.

-----

Ok, it's time to tackle the day.

Have a great week!

dd

No comments: